Detective Division Date: November 09, 2009
Attn: 19th and 23RD Districts
Due to recent robberies, The Chicago Police Department is alerting the residents of the Lakeview Area and Wrigleyville to be cautious as you are travelling to and from your destinations.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
· Walk in open areas. If possible, travel in groups.
· Do not take shortcuts through alleys or heavily shrouded areas.
· Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
· If you are out late at night, limit your use of cell phones and/or playing devices that would block your ability to hear your surroundings.
· If you are going to be out late, try to prepare for your return home: No flashy large purses or accessories exposed. Try to insure that you will not be a target simply by what you wear.
· If you have any information concerning your safety and/or your neighbors contact the Chicago Police Department with detailed description of offender and direction of flight.
Area Three Robbery/Burglary/Theft Crimes Unit
Beware of a Recent Scam
In an effort to keep you safe, the 23rd District would suggest that you take a moment and read the following information regarding a scam that has been reported by citizens in the surrounding area recently.
Victims or intended victims have been approached by a subject claiming to be a neighbor or a friend of a neighbor and asked to loan the subject money for cab fare. The subject explains that he just locked his keys and wallet inside his home nearby and that his wife has just gone into labor at a distant hospital. He asks to borrow money for the cab to get to the hospital.
In one incident the subject was ringing doorbells in a multi-unit building and asked a resident to borrow money for a cab. In another incident the subject approached the victim as she was about to enter her home and asked to borrow money.
The subject is described as:
• White male
• 5’9” to 5’11”
• Appears to be in his early thirties
• Average to slim build
• Dark hair worn short
• Clean shaven with a clean cut appearance
• Recently seen wearing a black waist length leather jacket, dark shirt and blue jeans
Report any suspicious activity or individual immediately by calling 911.
Try to provide a detailed description of the individual, his last known direction and mode of travel, etc.
If you have any questions or need more information contact
the 23rd District Community Policing Office at 312-744-0064 or at [email protected] .
Area Three Detective Division Alert #630-09-016
August 1, 2009
Wanted for Strong Arm Robberies
About This Crime
The Chicago Police Department is investigating a series of Strong Arm Robberies
where the victims were severely beaten by multiple offenders. In each case the victims
are walking when they are confronted from behind by several men who demand their
wallet then beat them in the head and face. Victims have been hospitalized due to their
Where When _
600 block of West Fullerton July 30, 2009 at 2:00 a.m.
2100 block of North Stockton July 30, 2009 at 2:05 a.m.
2000 block of North Cleveland Aug 1, 2009 at 3:00 a.m.
300 block of West Webster Aug 1, 2009 at 3:36 a.m.
Wanted Offender and Vehicle
• The offenders are described as male blacks and Hispanics in their early 20's.
• In one case the victim thought the offenders drove an older model small maroon
What You Can Do
• In case of emergency call 911
• Call 911 to report any suspicious person(s) or activity and provide a detailed
description of the offender(s) including vehicle description and license plate
• Always be aware of your surroundings
• Walk in groups, when at all possible
• Avoid secluded areas such as parks, alleys, and vacant lots during late night,
and early morning hours
If you have any information concerning theses incidents,
please call the Area Three Detective Division at (312)744-8263
Reference RD#s HR459664, HR456617, HR456001, HR455992